The Music Academy of North Carolina
2018-19 Student Policies
Payment of fees assumes acceptance of all MANC Policies
The Music Academy of North Carolina is committed to equality of educational opportunity and does not discriminate against applicants based on age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, or handicap.
- Registration is on a first come, first served basis. To ensure placement with the instructor of your choice and a convenient lesson time, it is advisable that students register at least three weeks prior to the onset of each trimester. Spring schedules will presumably stay the same as the fall, if tuition of continuing students is received at least three weeks prior to the onset of the trimester, unless the instructor needs to change. Lesson times will be scheduled before the beginning of each trimester by the teacher.
- If a student has not registered and paid by Friday, September 7 for the fall trimester or by Friday, January 25 for the spring trimester, a $15 late penalty will be charged to the student’s account, and the teacher will be instructed to suspend lessons until the account is current.
- Students must register for full terms (or full remaining terms, if registering after the onset of a trimester) unless registering for an Introductory Lesson Pack. Students wishing to register for fewer lessons must have approval in advance from the instructor. The instructor must notify the Director of Student Relations in writing of any students taking fewer than the full term.
- An Introductory 4-Lesson Pack option is available to new students wanting to sample an instrument or prepare for an upcoming audition. No registration fee is charged.
- We encourage students to use our online registration form on our website (https://musicacademync.asapconnected.com/Default.aspx). Please contact the Director of Student Relations if needing to register in person or by phone. Monthly payment options are available.
- The registration fee per family is $12 for summer; $25 for fall; and $25 for spring. The registration fee is waived for students who pre-register and pay in full for the entire year in the summer. The registration fee is not charged for assessment lessons or for students who register for the Introductory Lesson Pack option.
- We request that all payments be prompt. Payment received 10 days beyond the due date will be assessed a late fee of $15.00. There is a $30 fee for each returned check. Once a payment is two weeks overdue, the parent/student and teacher will receive will receive a notice that lessons will be suspended until the account deficiency is corrected. Once lessons have been suspended, teachers are not responsible for maintaining class availability for the student(s).
- Prior trimester account balances must be paid in full before registering for a new trimester.
- Discounts: Students are able to receive the following discounts: a) Students may earn $20 tuition credits (no cash will be paid) for each referral that results in a new student who enrolls for a minimum of 15 private 30-minute lessons or full special offering (combo, ensemble, etc.); b) The registration fee is waived for students who pre-register and pay in full for the entire year in the summer; c) Employees of the Guilford County Public School System receive a 10% discount on MANC tuition upon presentation of proof of employment (GCS Employee Badge); d) The registration fee is waived for any student who presents a FaithAction ID card upon enrollment.
- Students are expected to continue lessons for the full trimester. If it becomes necessary to withdraw from instruction for any reason, the student must provide written notice of termination to the Director of Student Relations. Refunds will only be issued during the first 14 days of enrollment, and The Music Academy will only refund the tuition paid (registration fees are non-refundable), and the refund shall be reduced by the cost of two lessons. No refunds will be issued to any student who withdraws after the second week of lessons. Tuition credits may be offered in cases of withdrawal due to special circumstances and will remain on the family’s account for one year. Families on the payment plan are responsible for paying the remaining balance on their account. Any discounts applied due to full year registration (see discounts b) in #9, above) will be reversed before applying tuition credits.
- Students/parents reserve the right to request a teacher change at any time in the trimester. Requests should be made to the Dean of Faculty.
- Missed lessons: As a courtesy, the student should notify the teacher if a lesson needs to be canceled. For the protection of our students and teachers, we request that students who are sick refrain from coming to lessons. However, prior notice of lesson absence does not exempt students from payment, nor exclude them from the no-make-up policy. Teachers do not provide make-up lessons for student cancellations. However, should a teacher miss a lesson due to any circumstance, that lesson will be made up at a time which is mutually convenient with the student and teacher. Teachers may arrange for a substitute teacher. The Music Academy will attempt to notify students prior to substitute lessons, but it cannot be guaranteed that time will allow for such notification.
- Smoking and illegal drugs are not allowed in The Music Academy.
- Parents must arrange to have children dropped off and picked up within 15 minutes of lesson time. Once a student enters The Music Academy, he/she must remain inside The Music Academy until his/her transportation arrives. A late fee of $25 will be charged to students in our partnership classes and summer camps who are not picked up within 10 minutes of the end of class. This fee is payable directly to the instructor of the class or camp.
- All students are expected to be on their best behavior while at The Music Academy. Students are expected to treat each other, parents, faculty, and staff with respect and to refrain from playing in the halls or bathrooms, running, and/or being loud enough as to interrupt lessons and Music Academy business. Students who are disruptive will be reprimanded, and parents will be notified. We reserve the right to terminate, without refund, the lessons of any student who is disruptive to others at The Music Academy.
- Students may use The Music Academy phone for emergencies only, and only with staff assistance.
- Inclement Weather: In the case of inclement weather, The Music Academy often remains open. The Music Academy will close if conditions become dangerous. A decision regarding morning classes/lessons will be made by 7:30 AM followed by an update for afternoon classes (if needed) by noon. Announcements of closing will be on The Music Academy’s website, announced via email, and posted on WFMY-2, WGHP-Fox 8, WXII-12, and Facebook.
- Lessons and Classes held at The Music Academy: The Music Academy guarantees one make-up lesson if lessons or classes are canceled due to weather conditions. Additional make-up lessons due to closure will be at the discretion and scheduling availability of the teacher. No refunds will be issued. If The Music Academy remains open but a student chooses not to come, the teacher is not responsible for scheduling a make-up lesson.
- Inclement weather policy for students who take lessons and classes off-site at a partnering school: Off-site lessons and classes follow the cancellation decision of the partnering school with the following exception: in the case where The Music Academy remains open when the partnering school has closed, private lessons will be moved to The Music Academy, but group classes will be canceled. If The Music Academy remains open but a student chooses not to come, the teacher is not responsible for scheduling a make-up lesson. The Music Academy guarantees one make-up lesson if lessons or classes are canceled due to weather conditions. No refunds will be issued.
- The Music Academy reserves the right to use student names and photographs for promotional purposes unless the Dean of Faculty receives a statement in writing to the contrary.
- All student information is confidential and not shared with individuals, organizations, or businesses. Hardcopies are shredded when no longer needed for Music Academy purposes.
- Students who register for instruction at The Music Academy will be included in MANC listings for routine mailings, including solicitations. We will delete a student’s name from the mailing list (or any other list) at the student’s request.
- The Music Academy of North Carolina makes every effort to maintain the schedule and meeting times of our partnership classes and lessons. We do reserve the right to cancel any classes that do not make minimum enrollment as determined by The Music Academy. We also reserve the right to change or substitute faculty as necessary throughout the duration of the class or lesson period. Decisions to cancel a class that has not made minimum enrollment will be made and communicated with all registered families 72 hours before the start date of the class. A full refund will be issued.
- The Music Academy provides wireless network access for our faculty, students, and families. Use of the wireless network should be professional, respectful, and polite, and should refrain from violating any federal, state, or local laws.